Main Wheels

For discussion on all aspects of the Single Seat De-Regulated, sub 115kg microlight aircraft category.

Moderator: John Dean

Main Wheels

Postby chrisantrobus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:09 am

Hi all,
I've been building a low wing SSDR for a couple years of my own design and I've just reached one sticking point, having designed and built my first main gear leg, essentially a copy of the box section design found on Menestrel aircraft, I need wheels and tyres suitable for the job. The problem is that the wheels available specifically for the task from places like LAS are jokingly expensive, in the region of £350 a wheel.
I want a light two part Dural wheel preferably which I can mount a disk on for breaking. A single piece with inner tube would also be fine, and I notice there are some cheaper drum brake wheels available from Wicks in the US, but something more local and locally tested if anyone can recommend.
The gear does have a 1" tubular stub though so something which can take that or be machined out to take it would be needed.

If I can't find a wheel cheaper than say £150 a piece that fits my needs I will have to start looking into designing and machining my own.

Any ideas chaps all help appreciated greatly.[/size]
Christopher Antrobus
chrisantrobus

Re: Main Wheels

Postby Bill McCarthy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:21 am

You haven’t mentioned wheel size, but, google “Trolley wheels”. There are many to choose from (with split rims) for ease of tyre changes. There was a French website - something like “ URL technologie” with everything you need for a build. Let us know how you get on.
Bill McCarthy

Re: Main Wheels

Postby Ian Law » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Think the French website may be: http://www.ulmtechnologie.com/

I was hoping to use one of their sets of wheels and brakes for my Boredom Fighter project, so I could use cable operated brakes and keep everything light and simple.
Unfortunately, try as I might, I could not extract the technical information from ULM, needed by the PFA at that time to complete my mod. application fully.
I was obliged by economics to use a pair of less than ideal used Cleveland 600 x 6 wheels and brakes with a complicated abortion of a hydraulic system with pull type master cylinders.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Ian
Ian Law

Return to SSDR